Thursday 17 May 2012

Life Changing Decisions.

In your life you make a lot of life changing decisions. Actually, everything you do could change your life. Most of them you just do. You eat an apple, you go out for drinks, you read a book. Some are a little harder, like what to wear, what to have for dinner, and so on. A last category are the decisions that are really hard. Will I buy this pare of shoes and be broke for the rest of the month? Will I skip classes and take the risk that I cannot do the exam with the consequence that I might not pass the year? Will I devote my life for one year to something else than studying?

My friends recommended me to make lists of pros and cons. Personally I don't like to think about these kind of things. I don't really want to think about what is 'the right thing'. But my friends were right, sometimes it is necessary, but really not fun at all!
Because I did make lists of pros and cons. And the conclusion to all three of the hard questions above is:

NO!

Why buying a pair of shoes you cannot afford? Why skipping classes if it is not absolutely necessary and there's such a risk to it? Why waste one more year in the Netherlands? Especially with the recent political situation you know you don't agree with, just finish your studies and move to a place far, far away.

Yes, I am 'doing the right thing' now. And yes, I am okay with the decisions I am making. But no, I would never, ever recommend someone to make a list of pros and cons. I created a new, emotional strategy:

1. Feel what you really want. This is the obvious step which you think you already did, but now I mean really feel it.
Did you find the solution yet? Congrats! If not, here's the second step.

2. Make a random decision, without thinking. Tell yourself: okay, I'm just gonna buy the shoes! Don't really do it, but put the money somewhere in a box or an old sock or whatever place you prefer. If it is not about something material, then tell someone what you have decided. It does not really matter what they think, just do it.

3. Feel again. Does it feel right? Then come on and actually take the step: buy the shoes, skip the classes! You are going to be such an incredibly happy person!
Does it feel wrong? Then don't do it. Put the money back in your wallet, tell your friend or your mother that you are not going to do it, and try to be happy again.

4. I still feel unhappy. I think that if you decided to do something, you won't really regret it. The worst thing that can happen (when you decided not to do something) is that you are still thinking about the other option. I know the feeling oh so well (feeling it at the moment), but now is the first time that it is okay to be rational: you know you've made the right decision. And the unhappy feeling will go away in time. Remember that you would have felt worse if you decided to do it.

And if you really, really feel it is better to be rational... than that will be the right thing for you to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment